Bay Farm Island Lagoon

Bay Farm Island Lagoon
View from Baywood Village looking across to Oyster Pond

Bay Farm Island Lagoon 2010

Bay Farm Island Lagoon 2010

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Alameda Free Library - Reflections on my visit

My visit to the Alameda Free Library was so exciting! I felt like a total nerd because I was enjoying it so. As I was conducting the historical research, I texted both my sister and my coworker telling them how excited I was about the historical information available at our local library.

When I arrived, I was courteously directed to the Research Desk upstairs, and the Librarian took me over to a locked – yes I said locked – cabinet with old maps of Alameda. The drawer was full of maps dating back to the early 19th century. I believe the oldest was dated 1847.

I was afraid to ask if I could photograph the maps because of the ill treatment I received at the Alameda Museum. However, the Librarian graciously agreed to allow me to take AS MANY PHOTOS as I deemed necessary. That was it; I was in my element. A camera in hand and historical artifacts to be photographed – specifically historical information about Alameda - life was good on Saturday! It still amazes me how incredibly enjoyable it was for me to spend hours in the Alameda Free Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment