Bay Farm Island Lagoon

Bay Farm Island Lagoon
View from Baywood Village looking across to Oyster Pond

Bay Farm Island Lagoon 2010

Bay Farm Island Lagoon 2010

Monday, May 31, 2010

Three Dimensional Museum Exhibit



When posed with the task of developing a "Three Dimensional Museum Exhibit", I was so excited because I knew exactly what I wanted to do. As noted in the above inset caption of the historical reference of Bay Farm Island, the early residents of Bay Farm Island entertained each other with outdoor dinner parties – complete with homemade wine and music.

I remember feeling envious of those families because even that oh-so-brief description conjured up so many delightful visions in my head. This assignment allows me to take my day dreaming further to a level that brings me even more enjoyment as I envision the Island paradise in the early 1800’s.

What I want the reader to take away from this "Three Dimensional Museum Exhibit" is that the story of early Bay Farm Island is one of richness – rich family connections, rich love – both young and old, rich fertile soil, rich nutrient laced produce, rich Italian culture, rich Italian food, rich red grapes made into sweet red wine, rich musical talent, and rich island pleasure.

The richness of Bay Farm Island is epitomized by the outdoor dinner parties of the time. The warm summer air cooled by the ever so gentle San Francisco Bay breeze. The moon lit sky speckled with stars illuminating brightly in the dark surroundings. The large family table surrounded by lush vegetation - nature at its best. A multitude of softly glowing lanterns hanging from the trees illuminating the large family table draped with a family heirloom Рa soft hand-embroidered tablecloth. The air is filled with the aroma of an abundance of scrumptious Italian entrees made from ancient secret family recipes brought to this country by traveling brave Sicilian immigrants, fresh vegetables saut̩ed in garlic and olive oil, salad overflowing with freshly grown vegetables Рsmothered in homemade Italian cilantro dressing. Lively Italian music plays in the background and both old and young lovers dance as the children join in. Wine flows Рtoasts are made thanking God for the abundance of richness Рrich family connections, rich love Рboth young and old, rich fertile soil, rich nutrient laced produce, rich Italian culture, rich Italian food, rich red grapes made into sweet red wine, rich musical talent, and rich island pleasure.

I am no longer envious of the early Bay Farm Island residents because I just lived through what I conjured up - so many delightful visions in my head. I took my day dreaming to the ultimate level, and I basked in the joy of all five senses – sight, smell, taste, hearing, and touch – I truly and deeply enjoyed the moment! My hope is that you do too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacqueline,

    Your day-dreaming post was written so vividly, thank you for that. It helped me to envision a time of family and friends and good food, all those things that engrain memories into our minds.

    I was especially interested in the maps of Rancho San Antonio mainly because my blog was partly about the Peralta Family that owned the land. It was interesting to see what became of their property over time. They too, were people who placed great emphasis on family and cultural.

    Your description of Bay Farm Island has created an interest to visit it and see it for myself.You have done an excellent job.

    Thank you,
    Milly

    ReplyDelete